[AusNOG] Simon Hackett's presentation from Comms Day yesterday - NBN fibre on copper prices

Lincoln Dale ltd at aristanetworks.com
Fri Jul 19 12:50:59 EST 2013

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Matthew Moyle-Croft <mmc at mmc.com.au>wrote:

>  I'd argue it's cheaper to do what NBNCo are doing and put an active bit
> of kit in.

"Cheaper" for whom?
One thing I never liked about a NTU is its "yet another box" that requires
power 24/7.
I like Simon's idea because basically it gives more flexibility and its one
less thing.

Some back of envelope calculations.

I've not seen actual power consumption data for the NTU however based on
its stated battery (12V7Ah) and that you get "2-3 hours" out of 50% SoC,
that equates to 16.8Wh/hr power consumption.
Lets say power brick is 80% efficient then 21W actual usage x 24 hours x
365 days = 183kWh/annum x 10M premises @ 20c/kWh = $367M.

Ok thats only $36/annum/premises but its what you/I are having to pay in
power.
No doubt having a GPON interface on a router doesn't come "for free" either
but I bet that could be done on a CPE for 1/10th that power number when you
need a CPE device anyway.