[AusNOG] Simon Hackett's presentation from Comms Day yesterday - NBN fibre on copper prices

Beeson, Ayden ABeeson at csu.edu.au
Thu Jul 18 12:08:55 EST 2013

While I get the viewpoint of making it cheaper, I definitely agree that receiving a standard Ethernet copper interface is easier for most people, maybe the NTD could be made optional if requested (as could the power supply)

However given that we are already looking at the possibility of using one of the 4 ports for Government services, I can already see 2 or even 3 of my ports being used when it arrives here and most "everyday" users that have just one DSL connection now will find themselves with at least 2 ports being used on the NBN in the short term.

The multiple ports are a good idea, possibly the additional cost is too much (at least initially) and could be passed onto the consumer to a degree with an "upgrade" cost or requiring your purchase of a GPON capable router instead, both have positives and negatives and my leaning at the moment is that the 4 ports is (from my viewpoint) worth the cost.....

Thanks,
Ayden Beeson