[AusNOG] "NBN Co to reserve data port for government"

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 13:47:21 EST 2013

On 17 July 2013 13:19, Heinz N <ausnog at equisoft.com.au> wrote:

> Apparently these privacy stealing communist "dumbmeters" create their own
> mesh network, with certain undisclosed units being a network node. At least
> this is how it appears in Victoria. Doing an internet cross/inter-connect
> with that mesh will be marvelous for the hackers trying to take down an
> electricity grid. Look at http://www.stopsmartmeters.**com.au<http://www.stopsmartmeters.com.au>for more info.

Yes, mesh networks are one way in which some smart meters can communicate.
 I wouldn't call that description an accurate take on it though, and I'd
take anything a site with a clear agenda to stop smart metering says about
how smart meters work with a very large grain of salt.

As for multiple ports, imaging trying to talk some end user into plugging
> and unplugging RJ45 plugs into the correct sockets.

This is a "problem" that hasn't stopped literally hundreds of other
technologies from being successfully implemented in our society.