[AusNOG] Mike Quigley has resigned

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 15:01:18 EST 2013

On 12 July 2013 14:51, Mark ZZZ Smith <markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> I don't think it is a good idea to spend lots of time and money on
> possibly maybes.
>
> The majority of what we do on networks are electronic analogues of what we
> do "IRL" - the names of the applications are a give away e.g., eMAIL, video
> CONFERENCING etc. The majority of human communications is unicast or
> bidirectional, which is why unicast style applications are the dominant
> ones. The entertainment industry might be glamorous, but it pales compared
> to the revenue of the telecommunications industry.

The way we consume media is evolving, and the entertainment industry will
eventually be dragged, kicking, screaming, biting and spitting, along with
us.

Despite what some people think, there isn't sufficient bandwidth in the air
to support the continued growth of media consumption, particularly on
demand - that's where things like the NBN with its existing and potential
bandwidth potentials actually matter for the future.