[AusNOG] IPV6 ether/wireless bridge?

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Tue Jan 29 16:34:31 EST 2013

Daughter is at Monash. Last couple of years, she's had "reasonable" wifi
access in her room for her ipad etc, but this year it's lousy - to the
point of being barely usable. They're provided with an ethernet connection
(comes out the back of the Cisco VoIP handset). Thats ok for her laptop,
but the other devices are wifi only.

I figured I'd drop in a cheap, low-power WAP. They appear to do DHCP for
registered devices only - students need to sign in and put the MAC address
of their device(s) in before they'll work. Checked it all here before we
left and perfect. But got there and nothing works. Devices can see the
WAP, but don't get addresses. Quick look (didn't have any tools or
any time to look more than very quickly) - appears to be IPV6.

The WAP I took certainly doesn't have IPV4/IPV6 stack, and not sure it
does anything with IPV6. Looking for something that does, I find LOTS of
references to all the ether->wifi bridging stuff that simply doesn't work
with IPV6... and since it it pretty topical, figured I'd ask if anyone
here knows of something that WILL work, preferably something they've tried
in the same or similar environment, I'd appreciate a heads-up on it, as I
will have to configure and send the gear and hope it "just works".

TIA.