[AusNOG] /20 Available

Chris Hurley chris at minopher.net.au
Tue Jan 22 23:45:59 EST 2013

The current IP4 costing money (I assume you mean brokers) and running out of
RIR's is not a justification for IP6 not being backwards compatible. The 2
statements are not logically linked.

Better minds than mine will argue why IP6 should have handled IP4, but due
to the "committee designing a race horse you end up with a camel". At this
point in time it's a moot point really. Unless you've got IP7 under your hat
and ready to roll it out.

All I'm suggesting is that whatever eventually replaces IP6 (and at some
point it will be replaced) should be backwards compatible between IP X and
IP6 as hopefully IP4 will most likely be well removed from the world by
then.

Cheers,
Chris