[AusNOG] /20 Available

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Jan 22 10:59:45 EST 2013

In message <1358804939.6107.6.camel at tardis>, Noel Butler writes:
> On Mon, 2013-01-21 at 16:04 +1100, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
>

> > If people had got off their asses and done IPv6 sooner, we wouldn't be
> > in this position -
> >

> If the fan boys had not been "crying wolf" since 1995, maybe the IP
> world wouldn't have this problem at all.
>
> Oh and since it took 17 years to get to exhaustion when they claimed it
> would be within 2 years then, I suppose we better start crying wolf now
> for IPv7? :)

Back in 1995 the projections on the consumption graphs did indicate
about 2 years.  Two things happened.  CIDR got deployed and NAT
usage increased dramatically.

Once the consumption graphs settled down we saw 1-2 decades in 2001
as the estimate and after that continually improving estimates.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org