[AusNOG] /20 Available

august forsakov forsakov at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 09:37:14 EST 2013

> IPv6 addresses are assigned to organizations in much larger blocks as
> compared to IPv4 address assignments—the recommended allocation is a /48 block
> which contains 280addresses, being 248 or about 2.8×1014 times larger
> than the entire IPv4 address space of 232 addresses and about 7.2×1016 times
> larger than the /8 blocks of IPv4 addresses, which are the largest
> allocations of IPv4 addresses. The total pool, however, is sufficient for
> the foreseeable future, because there are 2128 or about 3.4×1038 (340
> trillion <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10%5E12> trillion trillion) unique
> IPv6 addresses.****
>
> Each RIR can divide each of its multiple /23 blocks into 512 /32 blocks,
> typically one for each ISP; an ISP can divide its /32 block into 65536 /48
>  blocks, typically one for each customer;[16]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6_address#cite_note-16>
>  customers can create 65536 /64 networks from their assigned /48 block,
> each having 264 addresses. In contrast, the entire IPv4 address space has
> only 232 (about4.3×109) addresses.****
>
> By design, only a very small fraction of the address space will actually
> be used. The large address space ensures that addresses are almost always
> available, which makes the use of network address translation<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation>
>  (NAT) for the purposes of address conservation completely unnecessary.
> NAT has been increasingly used for IPv4 networks to help alleviate IPv4
> address exhaustion <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4_address_exhaustion>.

However many trillion, quadrillion or quintillion ip addresses are possible
with IPv6 there will always be a shortage at some point...
Any technological renewal wave will show that to be true, so we _will_ run
out of IPv6...
Maybe we'll want to assign each gene an ip address as will as its
associated body cell... hahaha

--
Best regards.
Gus