[AusNOG] /20 Available

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Mon Jan 21 16:48:14 EST 2013

> If people had got off their asses and done IPv6 sooner, we wouldn't be in
> this position - but there are a lot of factors involved in that a few years
> ago... but very little now.

And if a lot of the people sitting on (under-utilised or otherwise squandered)
address space, didn't... then there'd be a lot less pressure than there is now.

And if a lot more (intelligent) use of address space to customers had been used
- and I don't want to start a fight over carrier NAT - there would be even more
space.

Lets face it - the VAST majority of end users now have a live IPV4 address
assigned, then immediately NAT it in their DSL (or equivalent) router - even if
its only serving a single computer. How many of them have any need for "Live
IPs"?? And given the vulnerability of so many operating systems (especially the
majority of them that remain unpatched and unprotected), NAT is probably their
only saving grace. God help us if 90 billion vulnerable windows boxes suddenly
appear on live IPV6 addresses!

</opinion>