[AusNOG] Server/HD Question

Alexander Neilson alexander at neilson.net.nz
Thu Feb 14 14:02:39 EST 2013

Skeeve

I would suggest that the 7.5K drives will be suitable for low IOPS demanding tasks. However as with everything it will depend on the whole picture including if the demand will be mostly read or write / random or sequential etc.

My hard drive preference has been Western Digital however with the consolidation in the hard drive market there are limited options outside the "main" companies and it comes down to personal experience often.

I think some more information about how many VM's, what tasks they will be performing, etc would be useful for giving detailed advice.

Database performance can benefit more from a faster spindle speed over other types of drive load.

Just my $0.02

Regards
Alexander

Alexander Neilson