[AusNOG] Server/HD Question

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Thu Feb 14 13:10:37 EST 2013

Hey guys,

I know a bit about operating servers, but know bugger all about the
hardware, especially when it comes to hard drives.

I am needing to deploy a server for some low performance VM's, and it has
32Gb ram, Dual core dual processor 3Ghz... so all good.  Should run a few
linux VM's on ESX.

But... hard drives I really don't know about.

The chassis takes SAS drives.  In it are some small drives and I want to
upgrade.

Will 7.5k speed drives be ok on a VMware server if its not for high
performance processing?  The cost of 15k SAS drives still seem to be rather
expensive.  I was hoping for 500Gb-600Gb of space.

Any thoughts on which brand is ok... I will be putting a single drive in
mirrored (only 2 bays).

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/networkceoau ; blog: www.network-ceo.net