[AusNOG] Cisco 7200 routers for sale

Aqius aqius at lavabit.com
Mon Feb 11 14:31:02 EST 2013

I've not used the Mikrotiks much directly myself, mostly because when I was
first introduced to the products in a few environments, I'd seen a lot of
crashes, CPU usage/DNS issues etc which led me to figure they were in the
ballpark Steve has mentioned. OTOH uptime etc for some of devices have been
rock solid.

In any event I raised my eyebrows when I saw quite a few of them in a DC
visit recently which left me wondering:

1.       Were my experiences just unlucky and I've been a snob
(Cisco/Juniper etc still crash like crazy when you're not on the right image
for the right features)?

2.       Is there a culture change

a.       Are people's expectations generally different now - ie:
crashing/bad performance is actually not considered a big deal; Or

b.      Are techs being forced to cut costs and so you go for a Mikro though
it is not most ideal?

3.       Skeeve is right and Mikro's should not be considered for ent
deployments?

4.       Is Skeeve representative of a different class of expectations?