[AusNOG] Fwd: Re: 12V Gigabit Switch suggestions

Thomas Jackson thomas at thomax.com.au
Fri Feb 8 10:11:40 EST 2013

I've seen you mention VLAN tagging on Mikrotik several times, and I'm not
sure where you have been stuck on this.

	/interface vlan add interface=ether1 name=my-vlan vlan-id=100

Creates a virtual interface called my-vlan, primary interface ether1, VLAN
ID 100. From there, it is treated like another interface in the rest of the
system (routing, firewall etc). If you want to use VLANs on a switch group,
define your switch group by defining the master-port on each slave port,
then use the above command with your master port.

Obviously Mikrotik isn't going to suit everything (and I don't think it is
quite the right fit for this use), but they are great when used in the right
place like any tool. Comparing a routing platform that can do some switching
(Mikrotik) to switching platforms (Netgear GS108T or ProCurve 1810G) isn't
quite a direct comparison either. To tenuously get back to topic, the GS108T
is powered from a wall-wart if my memory is right, so may actually suit this
use-case. I would rather saw my arm off than use a Netgear GS108T after some
previous bad experiences, but that is a story for a different day!

On topic, try calling http://www.icp-australia.com.au/ - they have some
"industrial" (ie not cheap!) gear that may suit your needs depending on what
environment you are deploying to. If you're doing a remote install in a
harsh environment, their equipment is great, but you do definitely pay for
it.