[AusNOG] NBN Review shows FTTN blowout of 12bn, FTTH blowout of 29bn

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Sun Dec 15 23:33:48 EST 2013

On 15/12/2013 4:43 PM, Beeson, Ayden wrote:
> Hey sorry Paul, you might have missed the latest changes with the strategic review, but that guarantee no longer applies to end users.
>
> No minimum guarantee at all to end users, with no clear resolution path given the uncertain nature of the CAN ownership puts it where it currently is, no better...
Actually no - I'm reasonably sure the strategic review is silent on this. Its more
government policy than strategic review, and I was distinguishing line-sync speed from
end-user throughput as two separate things.
FTTN Line-sync is controllable and measurable by NBN Co, and the Strategic Review
consistently speaks of 100% of premises achieving at least 25 Mbps, and 90% of
premises achieving 50 Mbps or more. Exhibit 4-3 on P98, lower three lines, and section
3.4 applies.
End-user throughput is additionally dependent on RSP contention ratios and the
provision of adequate bandwidth in the backhaul regions from the PoIs to the RSP's
datacentres and Internet uplinks. These have always been outside the NBN's control,
and not guaranteed at all.

If the line-sync as indicated in your VDSL2 modem and the NBN VDSL DSLAM syncs up at
less than 25 Mbps (such as due to water in the pits), you should be able to claim a
fault condition. (Not saying you *will* be able to, that is yet to be determined. But
you *should* be able to , as it means you are outside government policy of 100% of
Australians having 25 Mbps or more)   On the other hand, if your VDSL2 modem indicated
a line-sync rate of more than 25 Mbps, but somehow you can't seem to suck that much
through the service from a source reasonably close to being on-net for your ISP (and
you might then measure non-zero packet-loss), then the indication is inadequate
backhaul in your ISP, and you complain to your ISP - but NBN Co would not have a
reason to look at the physical infrastructure in that case.

What you've outlined might be the RSP's standard message to end-users, but I'm fairly
sure it didn't come from the Strategic Review doc released last week. Happy to be
proved wrong if you can point to a section that does.

Paul.