[AusNOG] NBN Review shows FTTN blowout of 12bn, FTTH blowout of 29bn

Jake Anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Fri Dec 13 01:03:22 EST 2013

wildly variable is what I hear
somewhere between 200:1 and 2000:1 are the numbers being thrown around
on whirlpool so take that with as big a grain of salt as you desire.
I believe optus have been attempting to reduce it somewhat by chopping
up segments and have been throwing some more bandwidth at it with
bonding (well they say bonding improves bandwidth for the segment, I'm
not too sure how that works but my understanding of the fundamentals of
HFC aren't that great).

My home was in the "under construction" band for FTTP, so I still hold
some vague hope even though I am in a HFC area.

Why oh why could he not have done what politicians are supposed to do,
blame the last guy for doing a crap job, throw a few sweeteners in then
get on with doing the exact same damn thing?
Prioritise areas with no broadband, perhaps drop a few nodes in places
that really sucked as an interim measure, drop nodes in regional towns
to take some load off the wireless etc.
"stop the waste" and so on and so forth, then get on with the job of
rolling out an asset, not polishing the copper for a third time.

I am so over all this petty political point scoring.