[AusNOG] Latency sensisitive apps

John Edwards jaedwards at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 11:13:05 EST 2013

Any application that supports some kind of load balancing, high-availability or IP handover is going to have its transition performance tied to latency during a changeover operation, especially if some kind of key challenge/response is used for authentication.

This will affect apps using SCTP with multiple bindings, or mobile IP, or even VRRP.

Videoconferencing and VoIP are usually fine with consistent latency - it's the jitter that makes them suffer.

Some of the new multi-band LTE technologies are going to have issues if the radios end up on backhauls with differing latencies.

John