[AusNOG] IPv6: Vocus connects to the 'Other' side of the Australian Internet via IPv6 within Australia.

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Fri Aug 23 00:15:53 EST 2013

On 22/08/2013, at 6:39 PM, "Joshua D'Alton" <joshua at railgun.com.au> wrote:

> With all these /48s flying around being announced by various people, who/what is controlling legit announcing? Unless I'm missing something RADB doesn't seem anywhere near as up to date (well done Mark for keeping Internodes' up to date).?

Nobody has ever controlled legit announcements.

If you're a network operator, you take whatever steps you think you need to take on your network.  For various reasons, the steps most people decide to take can be summarised on this list:

1. None.

There are efforts underway to secure routing with PKI. They've not gained much traction. Maybe one day they will.

Ultimately, you'll route prefixes for your customers if and only if their RIR says they're the legitimate allocation recipient, or they have a Letter of Authorisation (LOA) from the legitimate registrant granting them authority (as provided by SAGE-AU).

And, on your transit and peering edge, you'll assume that every other network operator on the planet does the same thing.  Ha-ha, only serious.

    - mark