[AusNOG] Fibre Map

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 18 08:07:03 EST 2013

Hi Daniel,

Happy to be proven wrong, but I think that sort of thing is usually "business confidential". You could have a look at the various fibre providers websites to see if they list "cabled/connected buildings" and from that infer where they might have fibre running. The other thing to look at is telephone exchanges where carriers other than Telstra/Optus have DSLAM's installed. If there is alternative carrier gear in the exchange there is a fairly high chance that there is fibre to that exchange from a non T/O provider. If you have a specific location in mind you could also call the various providers and ask whether they have connectivity and if not how much it would cost, but it doesn't sound like that is what you want to do.

If you had happened to mention a few specific locations (instead of "outer suburbs") you might have even gotten some responses from the various providers who are on this list trying to sell you something :)

Many moons ago I had a PDF map of Brisbane with all the PIPE fibre on it, but when I asked for an updated version (about 6 months after I got the original) I was told they no longer give out that kind of information (if you're wondering how long ago "many moons" is, I think it was around when the fibre to Polaris was being laid from memory).

Maybe someone else will be able to supply something for your benefit and the others on the list and I will be pleasantly surprised and have to eat some humble pie. Best of luck.

regards,
Tony.