[AusNOG] iiNet buys Adam

Geoff Huston gih903 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 13:56:53 EST 2013

> On Aug 6, 2013, at 9:17 AM, Peter Tiggerdine <ptiggerdine at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is it me of is ACCC playing favoritism with every other ISP other than Telstra?
>
> Aside from Rob Hudson's comments (which, IMHO, were spot-on), the bigger picture here is that "playing favoritism with every ISP other than Telstra" is precisely what the ACCC is supposed to do.

I think what is the ACCC supposed to do is promote competition and fair trading in order to ensure that consumers enjoy the benefits of competitive markets.

i.e. ultimately the ACC's role, and the underlying Competition and Consumer Act (2010), is about consumers and protecting their interests and welfare through efficient and competitive markets

(http://www.accc.gov.au/about-us/australian-competition-consumer-commission/about-the-accc)

> They aren't supposed to be treated fairly.  Twenty years after the introduction of competition, they remain utterly dominant in retail, and mostly dominant almost everywhere else.  The role of the ACCC is to promote better consumer outcomes by driving competition by tilting the playing field against Telstra.
>
> I wonder how many of their shareholders have ever understood that?

I wonder if we are talking about the same ACCC?