[AusNOG] Why is peering in Australia so hard?

Wolfgang Nagele wolfgang.nagele at ausregistry.com.au
Sun Aug 4 20:20:44 EST 2013

Hi,

The PIPE IX in Adelaide (the middle of Australia) had 97% of the routes that were available at all the other bigger interstate IXes in around 2008/2009. Very little value at the time in paying for fat intercapital links when you're going to be shifting less than 10Mbps per interstate IX off of your transit.
In our case most of our content is sitting in Melbourne. I certainly cannot get 97% of the routes that I can get in Sydney down here in Melbourne via public exchanges. Due to that we push a lot of traffic via Sydney to return back to Melbourne to some home DSL line. At least an additional 15ms RTT and a waste of resources on our and the recipients network. If you or your upstreams in Adelaide follow the same principle peering approach you will see a very similar situation - nobody wins.

Cheers,
Wolfgang