[AusNOG] Why is peering in Australia so hard?

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Sun Aug 4 16:16:22 EST 2013

And just adding to that, the scale you have in EU/US is 10-100x what you
have here. So we might have... well hundreds of ISPs and a few thousand
AS#, but where the 100th largest in Europe will have multiple PoPs with
carrier grade equipment and at least 10 network engineers and doing 50Gbit+
traffic, the 100th network here in Australia is 1 PoP, 2 engineers at best
and doing a few hundred Mbit at best, so its not really cost effective to
consider peering, or even practical. The vast majority of AU networks (ASn
or not) are single homed to begin with, let alone thinking about peering.