[AusNOG] VPLS OSPF question

John Edwards jaedwards at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 08:07:11 EST 2013

Hi Brad,

One caveat that I would add here is that not all VPLS' are created equal, and that there are non-unique cases where they don't support multicast. All VPLS will have some kind of multicast limitation, but not usually one that you'll notice.

This is important to your question, because OSPF requires multicast to function out of the box on a LAN, even a virtual private one. Not many applications rely on multicast, so it's easily overlooked by purveyors of VPLS.

It is possible to work around this, but in doing so you might be overlooking better solutions. If none of your 200 sites have redundant connectivity and your VPLS cannot logically split, then you may even find that static routes help you to get more sleep.

John