[AusNOG] Moderated/Vetted AusNOG list to reduce the guff (was Re: Understanding lack of Aus connectivity to melbournefreeuniversity.org.)

Michael Kahl michael at kahl.id.au
Sun Apr 14 22:54:01 EST 2013

While there's been an increase in the amount of junk on this list in the
last 6-12 months it still has a fairly low noise level overall and it's
usually easy enough to ignore irrelevant posts based on the subject.

Working at an engineering level at a major carrier I quite often find posts
on here really useful for identifying weird problems. Best intentions aside
its sometimes difficult for the issues that "can't" happen (anyone who's
had the joy of seeing something buried 49 bytes into the payload of a
packet 467 bytes long with the 9th bit set to 1 being interpreted as part
of a header by a switching fabric should be able to sympathize) to make it
through lower level support desks.

I'll make the occasional post on here, but because I'm not authorized (I'm
not specifically not authorized, but its a grey area) to speak publicly on
behalf of my employer I'm not going to weigh in on everything in public,
but things definitely do get fixed with the people involved privately based
on posts made to the list and when there's talk of moderation I'd hate to
see those posts just disappear.

Obviously this isn't the place for end user support but there's plenty of
reasonably sized networks and knowledgeable people out there that don't
necessarily have their own ASN but cans still make informed and relevant
posts on the list.

If moderation is required hopefully it can only be for people that abuse
the list (after being warned), and maybe users within their first few weeks
of membership.

Michael