[AusNOG] Moderated/Vetted AusNOG list to reduce the guff (was Re: Understanding lack of Aus connectivity to melbournefreeuniversity.org.)

Kim Davies kim at cynosure.com.au
Sun Apr 14 12:48:40 EST 2013

In my experience, what is far more damaging to a list's usefulness is not the occasional marginally off-topic thread, but rather the death spiral of meta-discussions about how the list is run. Forking the list seems to me more likely to make the overall situation worse, because you'll then have people copying in multiple lists to ensure their audience, and those that are on more than one list get bombarded with redundant copies. A sizeable chunk of this community I think has already seen this with the proliferation of "aussie-isp" lists.

kim
(admittedly, not sure if he'd qualify the entrance exam for a closed list)