[AusNOG] Understanding lack of Aus connectivity to melbournefreeuniversity.org.

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sat Apr 13 12:17:36 EST 2013

On Sat, 2013-04-13 at 11:08 +1000, Aqius wrote:
> As an outsider, this block appears to have been terribly executed.
>

> Presuming there is a single site or at most a few that are the cause
> of the block, over 1000 other sites have had their business or welfare
> interrupted. Blocked since at least Wednesday according to the MFU
> facebook page.

If this was an Australian Govt action (and BTW, it was NOT issued by the
ACMA) then I'm surprised at you asking this, given its well known the
current labor government has proved many times it doesnt give a flying
flap about collateral damage  "must .. protect.. the..k..."  - I'll
freaking scream if I here one more brain dead fwit politician use that
line as an excuse for more power and control.

> 1.       Was any communication attempted with the hosting provider to
> target the site?

Given it is U.S. hosted, I would be very surprised, given the extremely
close relationship between HTCC and the FBI and SS, if not.
This leads me to suspect it may not be an AFP action, since it would be
easier to have the offenders raided and site shut down than send out a
"request" (given the current wording of the Act, it is only a "request"
but I suspect that loophole will eventually be closed) to every end user
providing ISP.

> 3.       Will there be reasonable compensation provided to the
> inadvertently affected parties, including the hosting provider
> assuming they have not contributed to the pain?

LOL