[AusNOG] Understanding lack of Aus connectivity to melbournefreeuniversity.org.

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Thu Apr 11 16:36:54 EST 2013

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 11:20 PM, Lincoln Dale <ltd at aristanetworks.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Danny O'Brien <danny at spesh.com> wrote:
>
>>  I've reached out to AAPT and Exetel, and been banging on BGP looking
>> glasses and traceroutes all day, and not getting much response, so I
>> thought I'd broaden out the query and ask you all:
>>

> aapt have a publically available looking glass. you state you looked at it.
> do you know how to ask it your question?
> "show ip bgp 198.136.54.104 255.255.255.0 longer".
>
> as to why, no idea. its not universal across all providers as far as i can
> tell.

It's more the "why" I'm looking for than the "how" at this point. If anyone
is blackholing the site for operational reasons I figured that they would
pipe up here.

There was a suggestion that if it was a government demand, it might be
through a similar process to this story:
https://www.computerworld.com.au/article/457042/asic_blocks_global_capital_wealth_websites_/

Does ASIC use a legal process to require ISPs to block certain domains, or
is this part of the voluntary blacklist?

I mailed Robert Tozer earlier today, but haven't had a reply yet.

d.