[AusNOG] VDSL2, was Re: 4G advances

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Fri Oct 19 18:15:51 EST 2012

On 10/19/2012 04:51 PM, Mark Newton wrote:

> Predates the NBN.  Carriers with vested interests stonewalling
> in ACIF, in exactly the same way they did when ADSL was introduced
> in the first place.
and

> they were full of shit.  So much so that some of the exact same
> people spent years spinning a yarn about how VDSL couldn't work
> in Australia due to some weird- arse unique Australian CAN
> conditions that they were never able to adequately explain.  If
> you're a monopoly, you make money by inhibiting your competitors
> rather than by innovating)

As my eldest son would say - "cool story bro, needs more dragons."

Nice story, except in this case it wasn't Telstra that stalled the process. Telstra
did most of the heavy lifting technically
and were all in favour of publishing the revised code with VDSL2 in there, it was a
number of other carriers and CSPs that
did the stalling.

Paul.