[AusNOG] VDSL2, was Re: 4G advances

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Fri Oct 19 18:04:07 EST 2012

On 10/19/2012 04:43 PM, Mark Delany wrote:
> (I wasn't aware that VDSL is not allowed to be used by ISPs - that's an interesting
> topic for another thread. Was it a consequence of the NBN or concerns over the state
> of the copper?)

VDSL2 is allowed to be used by ISPs - but only on the copper inside buildings, on the
customer side of the copper frame.

VDSL2 is still not permitted on the copper outside plant, the Customer Access Network
- not by ISPs, not by carriers, not by Telstra.

The early stages of this predates the NBN - the working group to add VDSL2 into C559
was active before this incarnation of the NBN was announced - but after all the
technical work and interference calculations were done, other commercial aspects
prevented VDSL2 from being added and approved.

P.