[AusNOG] VDSL2, was Re: 4G advances

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Fri Oct 19 12:02:59 EST 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 12:52:12AM +0000, Mark Delany wrote:

 > So sure, maybe Telstra was stymied, but squirt-sized ISPs were never
 > going to do a massive VDSL deployment without huge government or
 > regulatory assistance.

No, but they might have said, "We're going to stop buying
ADSL1/ADSL2/ADSL2+ DSLAM modules, and start buying ADSL1/ADSL2/ADSL2+/VDSL
DSLAM modules for replacements and future deployments."

Alternatively, they might have said, "Here are bits of our market
where we think we'll get more revenue out of VDSL, let's put it
in those areas." (like they did with SHDSL)

What's actually happened is, "We're not going to buy anything at all."

  - mark