[AusNOG] Recommendation on a reliable/good 1000Base-X to 1000Base-T media converter.

Matt Perkins matt at spectrum.com.au
Wed Oct 17 16:53:33 EST 2012

Power supply's on these media converters have been letting us down since
the beginning of time. I have used almost all the brands over the years
and bar one with a built in power supply they have all had a power
supply moment where it turns to a scotched black plastic mess hanging
out of the wall or slammed in the rack door.

Now days modestly priced switches have gbic/sfp's and mercifully we dont
use them any more.  The Cisco ME3400 makes a sweet NTU/media converter
with a whole lot more. . Now i wish a to remain nameless last mile
provider we use would get the hint. . .

Excuse me im off to jaycar to stock up on some more power supply's as
unsaid last mile provider takes 24 hours to run out to the site to
replace one.

Matt.