[AusNOG] Warrnambool exchange

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Wed Nov 28 12:30:24 EST 2012

*Seems a bit BS to me they are exempt from critical services...::*

Dear Valued Partner

The Carrier is working to manage the significant impact to services that
has occurred as a result of a fire at an exchange in Warrnambool (Vic) last
Thursday (November 22, 2012).

Due to the scale of the damage to network infrastructure caused by the
fire, there has been a significant increase in the number of the services
being reported as faulty. As a result, there has been some disruption to
services and delays to normal installation and repair activities.

The Carrier has deployed emergency equipment to the area to assist in
restoring services. Two Mobile Exchange on Wheels (MEOW) are on site and
connecting services and a third is expected to start operating sometime
today. A MEOW is a transportable ADSL2+ enabled exchange which can
partially substitute for an existing exchange.

A number of Satellite Cell on Wheels and Cell on Wheels (for Mobile
services) units are also helping provide other services to the region. The
Carrier has restored mobile phone service to 90% of the area.

Services in Warrnambool and surrounding areas with FNNs in the following
number ranges may have been affected:

03 5220 0000 to 03 5239 8999
03 5380 1000 to 03 5380 1999
03 5263 0000 to 03 5267 3999
03 5459 7000 to 03 5467 2999
03 5287 1000 to 03 5289 7999
03 5520 2000 to 03 5529 5999
03 5321 9000 to 03 5321 9999
03 5551 0000 to 03 5599 8999
03 5340 6000 to 03 5363 9999

As these circumstances were outside of the Carrier’s control, the Carrier
is claiming an exemption from compliance with time frames and performance
standards required under the Telecommunications (Customer Service
Guarantee) Standard 2011.

Subsequently, the Carrier is notifying customers that normal installation
and repair time frames may not be met during the period from *22 November
2012 to 30 November 2012 inclusive *(based on the Carrier’s estimated
recovery schedule correct at the time of publication of this notice) and,
under section 21 of the Telecommunications (Customer Service Guarantee)
Standard 2011, the Carrier will be exempt from complying with performance
standards during this period.