[AusNOG] Google mail contact?

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Wed Nov 28 03:01:38 EST 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Damien Gardner Jnr <rendrag at rendrag.net>wrote:

> And the thing is, the emails are being *accepted* - The SMTP spec is very
> clear, that if a server accepts an email, then it must EITHER return an
> NDN, or deliver it to the user.  neither is happening in this case, hence
> my frustration..

Which SMTP spec?  If you mean, for example, RFC 821 which was written in
1982 and thus before spam existed, then yes, you're correct.  If you mean
the more current ones like RFC 5321 then they definitely allow for mail to
be silently dropped under certain circumstances.

As I understand it, the only time Google will silently drop mail (as
opposed to putting it into the spam folder) is when it hard-fails SPF
and/or DKIM, and even then only when some other criteria are true as well.
I'd start by checking SPF records, and seeing if the mail is being DKIM
signed.

Google DO play a very active part in DMARC which gives senders a way of
seeing how much mail (apparently) from a domain is being rejected by
recipients, including Google, so this might be a good opportunity to
configure that for this sender to get some feedback from Google.

  Scott