[AusNOG] Vocus vs. Pipe - Was: Vocus peering traffic missing from PIPE-IX?

James Spenceley james at vocus.com.au
Thu Nov 8 16:53:14 EST 2012

Hi All,

We are probably at the point that some level of clarification would help.

Due to contractual reasons we were required to vacate all of our racks in the PIPE facilities and also turn off a number of misc services (such as some remaining fibre tails and peering). For clarity TPG/PIPE was entirely entitled to take the course of action they did.

This involved Vocus moving a not-so-insignificant number of customers' services and kit in a very short window of time. That move was completed successfully yesterday and the last live pieces of equipment in PIPE DCs were turned down last night (including all peering).  Not all of our peering services were terminated, but given that we expected they would be, we have planned for it and shut them down ahead of time.

Vocus is still openly peering at the WAIA exchange points (WAIX, VIC-IX, QLD-IX) and also at Equinix in Sydney (where we have upgraded our port to handle the increased bandwidth).  Our full routes are still available at those points and a huge number of locations privately, if the volume justifies the port/cross connect/admin costs.

I'd like to thank all of our affected customers (a lot whom are on this list) for their patience and assistance. I know this has caused you additional cost and distraction, so the positive attitude and support you've (literally) all shown is greatly appreciated.  Also I'd like to thank our IP and Fibre teams who managed the migrations - they are simply the best and most dedicated guys I know and worked incredibly hard to minimise any customer inconvenience.

A number of people have suggested that this might escalate. It won't. There is no "war". TPG/PIPE still have racks in Vocus data centres and we won't be changing that. I've expressed this to PIPE and those who have voiced concerns and now it is on public record.

Both PIPE and Vocus will continue working in a professional manor for the delivery of Fibre/Telco services to each other's facilities. Pipe exercised their contractual rights, it caused us a lot of difficultly but that's life its now in the past. Since then there have been no instances of anything deliberately negative.

Cheers,

--
James

(speaking privately to ausnog, not to any wider audience)

@Nathan Brookfield, on your delay getting cross connects, I don't believe that is down to a conspiracy or any issues between PIPE and Vocus. Please talk to your co-lo provider about getting the cross connect escalated (I'm sure after your post it now has some attention). If there is anything we can do to help, drop me a line.