[AusNOG] Vocus vs. Pipe - Was: Vocus peering traffic missingfrom PIPE-IX?

Luke Iggleden luke+ausnog at sisgroup.com.au
Thu Nov 8 14:16:56 EST 2012

>> change the status quo.

>> why should we have to pay to deliver it to them? As long as we can meet them at
>> suitable aggregation points content be exchanged for free domestically.
>>>>

>>>   TANSTAAFL
>>>

>> http://www.verizonbusiness.com/terms/peering/
>>
>> It does exist in the world.
>>

> So the rack space, cable infrastructure, routers, electricity, 24x7 NOC etc. that you use to connect to them, *if* you qualify as a peer, is all free?
>
> Think about it. A company spends millions of dollars on equipment and installs fibre across Australia, and is then going to let everybody use it for gratis? That's a business plan to very rapidly go out of business. I suspect the "free peering" myth has come from the days when residential ADSL offered "free Pipe". The only reason it was "free" to customers was that the ISP chose not to bill the customers for it.

If I was G04, I would prefer to source my content from a 'free' domestic
source than a paid Southern Cross + Transit etc.

If their job is to deliver content (fast, low latency) to their clients,
why is it the content sources job to pay them to do that. Their
subscribers pay for that service!

Verizon clearly states you must not exceed 1.8 : 1 in the peering
arrangement. Let's say we're talking a large peer here, would you rather
exchange data for 'free' or pay for say 5Gbit/s of international traffic?

Nothing is 'free' as mentioned in previous post, but the win for both
parties is clear.

I know a provider in Amsterdam, that got to the point working with
Level3 at multi gig buy that their price got pointless, (below 20c/Mbit).

A calculated policy like VZB has gives both providers a 'free' ride but
they need to provide sufficient content in return. A couple of
paragraphs in a clear policy like this could suggest a nominal 'fair'
price per mbit/s for exceeding this rate?