[AusNOG] After Sandy Knocks Out Power, ... (huffingtonpost.com)

Mike Jones mike at mikejones.in
Fri Nov 2 16:11:41 EST 2012

On 2 November 2012 02:02, Damian Guppy <the.damo at gmail.com> wrote:
> You need to remember we are not talking about some big multinational company
> here. We are talking about a bunch of cash poor startups who would rather
> spend their limited funds improving their product than blowing it on
> duplicating infrastructure chasing another 9

To pick one of the companies mentioned in the article: SquareSpace
appear to be basically a web hosting company, who promise their
customers "With our reliable and scalable cloud infrastructure,
there's no downtime". People will disagree about what "cloud" actually
means, but I think any reasonable person would assume from that choice
of wording that they have a certain level of redundancy.

Well done to Peer1 and their staff for keeping the datacentre up in
those circumstances, if they had simply given up and gone dark then I
doubt they would have had many (legitimate) complaints. To the other
companies who didn't have redundancy in place: you got extremely lucky
and next time you probably won't be - still think it's OK to gamble
with your customers businesses? do your customers agree with you?

- Mike