[AusNOG] What's Typical Power Density in Colo?

jason andrade jason at pobox.com
Thu May 3 20:43:02 EST 2012

On Thu, 3 May 2012, Mark Foster wrote:

> More specifically, I'm interested in options where I don't have to lease
> an entire rack due to my need to run up to 4KW theoretical load (actual
> sustained loading is well under this).  There seems to be a lot of colo
> out there at the 10-to-16A (N+1) level and not a lot

Out of curiousity as i have talked to a couple of DC operators recently (who
had no issues in being able to do this, after engineering checks)

Is it fair to say that expecting 10-15kW in a rack is _not_ something
most DCs are interested in doing ? Or is there increasing ability to
accomodate this now ?

> Must be N+1 (ala fully redundant power) and have reasonable connectivity.

Which one did you want ? N+1 or redundant (2N) or fully redundant (2N+2N)..

Just saying because i got bitten by this recently in my thinking around
electrical systems in the DC.  It's not uncommon for it to be perfectly
acceptable to have N+1 aircon but that's not so common say for your
primary DC switchboard.. where 2N is much nicer?..

regards,

-j