[AusNOG] UK ISP's told to block P2P

Darren Ward (darrward) darrward at cisco.com
Thu May 3 19:58:00 EST 2012

Comes back to the point about changing consumption/use models and the
fact that very few business models are changing to adapt (music, video,
entertainment in general)

I feel personally that the vast majority of people labelled 'pirates'
are in fact average people whose changing lifestyle and technology
adoption has changed and are using P2P and other methods to access
entertainment in a way that meets their needs

You'd find almost all of these same people would pay a reasonable fee or
subscribe to a commercial service that offered them a similar capability
and perceived value

I'll throw a different tact in here, the gaming industry is starting to
outstrip the growth of traditional media for our entertainment dollars
and time spent according to a number of surveys and how much of this can
be attributed to the ease of being able to download games via
Steam/Origin etc on the day of global release rather than being made to
walk into a shop just because that's the way they think rights should be
managed ?

I wonder if anyone has any stats on the occurrence of piracy in the
gaming industry and whether those numbers changed with the change to on
demand and subscription online gaming?

How does Sony Pictures differ in that respect to Valve or Paradox
Interactive? Movie, show, game... each has the same rights and revenue
issues...

To annoy people - which is greener - download or packaged ? J

Which costs the rights holder less ? J

Darren