[AusNOG] Issue getting routes from Telstra to 49.156.16.0/22

Wade Millican Wade.Millican at EchoEnt.com.au
Wed May 2 13:48:46 EST 2012

Hi Matthew,

The original suggestion was mine and I'll own it. Sheng's original question of which I was replying to, was in an outage situation where another AS is claiming ownership of your net block what actions could be taken to enable resumption of service. This style of discussion is something I'm interested in hearing about, other than nag the upstreams which is slow at best. Actions that can be taken by the AS in question to resume service.

Yes, let's think of the TCAM, but let's try resume service first. If Telstra accept the route (and my hunch is they will), sort that out before trying to work out Layer 8.

Any other creative solutions on how to gain control back of one's prefixes?

Cheers,

Wade

From: Matthew Moyle-Croft <mmc at mmc.com.au<mailto:mmc at mmc.com.au>>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 20:35:56 -0700
To: James Spenceley <james at vocus.com.au<mailto:james at vocus.com.au>>
Cc: Wade Millican <wade.millican at echoent.com.au<mailto:wade.millican at echoent.com.au>>, "ausnog at ausnog.net<mailto:ausnog at ausnog.net>" <ausnog at ausnog.net<mailto:ausnog at ausnog.net>>
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] Issue getting routes from Telstra to 49.156.16.0/22

James,
Please don't encourage de-agg to /24 and below.  It's bad enough that an Australian network is on the top 10 global de-agg'ed list.

Everyone:  Advertise the shortest prefixes you can, then you only have to go one bit down to be more specific.  Jumping straight to /24s is just awful.

Won't someone PLEASE think of the TCAM?

MMC