[AusNOG] My Predictions for the ISP Industry

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Mar 15 12:57:36 EST 2012

In message <97C647EF-B87F-4E7A-A51C-A975170AF4CC at mmc.com.au>, Matthew Moyle-Cro
ft writes:
> On 15/03/2012, at 11:00 AM, Darren Moss wrote:
> >
> > Now.. if only IPv6 meant faster internet :)
> >

> I suspect that in the future it will, even it it's because it'll avoid =
> the CGNAT layers of suckage.
>
> MMC

I doubt that CGNAT will make a measurable speed difference for
99.99% of applications.  Some will have to do additional negotiations
to open up port and as the CGNAT is at the other end of the pipe
that will take a little longer but not noticably.

That's one of the reasons the IETF has been pushing "try IPv6 first"
as there will likely be no speed difference and it requires application
bias to be able to see when you can turn off the expensive IPv4
kludges.  If you selected the destination address family just on
speed you would end up with a roughly 50/50 mix.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org