[AusNOG] Solar flare

Jake Anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Fri Mar 9 11:08:51 EST 2012

On 03/09/2012 10:10 AM, Jason Leschnik wrote:
> _Most_ (i hope) of us are prudent with backups from Disk to Tape, in
> the event of the 1859 solar flare occurring again would this put all
> our data at risk?
Shouldn't do
Its different to an EMP kinda like how say anfo is different to TNT ;->

Even an EMP *probably* wouldn't bother a hdd that was off, despite what
Hollywood says the coercivity of most magnetic storage media is pretty
high, wiping your credit card over a magnet generally won't bother it,
hdd's are weaker but they aren't terrible. Most of the effects are due
to frying of electrical circuits.
Note a magnet over a hdd when its on is going to be very different to if
its off. The spinning is going to introduce some epic eddy currents in
the platters, also it'll work better from the back side through the Al
casting rather than through the steel face that'll conduct most of your
magnetic field away.

A "geomagnetic storm" has relatively slow rates of change of flux
(compared to an EMP), the voltage induced in a conductor is based on the
rate of change of flux and the length of the conductor in said flux.  As
such it will mainly bother things like power lines and pipelines with
runs in the 100's of Km. A 1859 storm would probably start to bother
shorter run cables, gut feeling is in the 10km range. With localised
areas (5-10km) where its much worse where natural eddies in the field
snap around and things like that.
The other thing is given the size of the driving forces some really
massive currents are available to back up these voltages, there's been
instances where thick pipes have been corroded basically by
electroplating themselves into the surrounding dirt. Hundreds to tens of
thousands of amps (of DC current too, transformers really don't like
that ;->)

An emp has a much *much* more rapid flux change, inducing decent voltage
in much shorter conductors.
Basically its pretty similar to having a nearby lightning strike that
doesn't actually hit the power lines.
Things with long antennas (your longwave ham rig) are going to get fried
through that at significant distances.
mobile phone antennas are pretty teensy and their longest conductors are
going to be on the order of ~10cm or so, it'll take a pretty fair whack
to bother them (if your phone is bothered your going to be rather more
bothered by the nuclear bomb that just went off ;->). The mobile phone
base stations are a different kettle of fish, expect them to be fried.
Stuff connected to power lines is going to be hit the hardest but then
they are fairly tolerant of the nasties in the power lines. Expect to
see bunches of fried PSU's but motherboards will probably be ok.
Especially if they are in a steel case (specifically steel, aluminium
will help but not as much) so put the side back on your computer ;-P

The biggest issue i see is networks, ethernet is only rated to ~400v or
so isolation as far as I'm aware? so runs of 10's of meters will
probably fry anything plugged into either end. (that motherboard isn't
looking so good anymore :-<)