[AusNOG] Telstra's Texan Teaser - Tin Foil Stetsun anyone?

Rod Veith rod at rb.net.au
Wed Jun 27 18:44:59 EST 2012

Thank you guys for those with the technical knowledge, ability and time to
expose Telstra's behaviour.

FYI. I have a Telstra mobile service that I use for occasional browsing and
I have followed Mark Newton's lead and registered a complaint with Telstra
through their web site.

Must say that I'm very impressed to see the level of outrage/concern this
has raised in the NOG list. There were a couple of extra names that I
thought may/I wanted to post here and do wonder if that reflects a desire to
keep a heads down profile  (.. said as he reaches for the hat again ...).

I have read online the Telstra privacy policy and noted the following:

NB: I inserted ***

-------------------------Telstra Privacy Policy Excerpt
---------------------------
.
.
How we use your personal information

Your personal information may be used to:
.
.
conduct appropriate checks for credit-worthiness and for fraud;
*** research and develop our services;  ***"
.
.
.
You can access your personal information

You have a right to access your personal information, subject to some
exceptions allowed by law. If you would like to do so, please let us know.
You may be required to put your request in writing for security reasons.

*** We reserve the right to charge a fee for searching for and providing
access to your information. ***
.
.
--------------------End Excerpt --------------------

I understand laws of the land always have precedence over contracts/company
policies however for the legal types in NOG land, can we, as individuals:

1. Object to parts of the Telstra privacy statement and still use their
services? In the days of paper documents I'd always cross out an
organisation's ability to use my personal information for research and
product use or to share anything with 3rd parties, but these days with
contracts done by phone or online it is not possible to do this. :(   Bank
documents are a particular favourite of mine and I'd always cross out the
bits I didn't agree with. Never had a loan request knocked back :)

2. be forced to pay for the searches we want conducted to retrieve how and
what personal information is being collected and how it is being used?

Rod