[AusNOG] Telstra manipulating DNS to block botnets

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Fri Jun 15 17:25:17 EST 2012

> > Just because OS Vendors have thus far managed to externalize the cost
> > of their product faults doesn't mean that the burden should fall on
> > consumers to pick up these costs. Nor should it fall on ISPs of
> > course...
> >

> Managing and ensuring the quality and timeliness of the poisoning data is
> the *big issue* with this technology but we are seeing very good results
> now.
>
> Barrie

It'd be interesting to know what your customers think of this
"intervention". Do they welcome that their ISP has detected a problem
and wants to help them or is it viewed as an unwelcome impost?

It's a difficult situation that I don't envy. You're trying to solve a
problem you didn't create, you're trying to do the right thing for
your customers, your network and the general good, but the consumer
probably sees it as an inconvenience and a possible cost.

I imagine the "messaging" has a lot to do with the consumer
response.

If I mis-remember, Earthlink used to be pretty pro-active like this
and did a pretty good messaging job in the email space: here's one
example
http://support.earthlink.net/articles/email/email-blocked-by-earthlink.php

Mark.