[AusNOG] Telstra manipulating DNS to block botnets

James Hodgkinson yaleman at ricetek.net
Fri Jun 15 16:08:16 EST 2012

What about protecting one customer from another?

Incredibly oblique example: If the guy next doors' bin was smelly and the
council could spray some deodoriser stuff into it for negligible cost
(which I've seen a few councils do)  then I'd be happier than if they said
"not my problem, they can stink out the street if they want!" :)

Similarly, if the ISP is stopping infection vectors - since this is what
we're talking about, not blocking inappropriate content based on government
choice - I'd be OK with that as long as it was managed carefully. Obviously
the "managed carefully" part is a problem, since I'm sure it'd be a
gargantuan task to keep something like that accurate and not cause false
positives.

James