[AusNOG] Telstra manipulating DNS to block botnets

Burt Mascareigne burt at prioritycomputer.com.au
Fri Jun 15 11:38:38 EST 2012

I find this line of though dangerous.

The Sky Hasn't fallen,  isn't a valid reason / justification

Do you think they will stop at Interpol blacklist? What about Certain "repulsive" Porn, that's OK to DNS manipulate right?  What about Fringe Group Political advocating violence? We Want to stop that right? What about... <Insert progressively less 'dangerous' topic here>

But it does open the door to censorship, saying it isn't doesn't make it not.....(triple negative score!)

When we talk $$, we're talking about Spikes in traffic and elevating that to investigations.  That's preservation of $$.  DNS manipulation will not work, it's SO easy to get around,  it will be by-passed by the culprits and the innocent will be abused. Sorry to add to a potential flame war, but, this logic infuriates me.

Regards

[cid:priority-computer-solutions_logo_01]

Burt Mascareigne
Technician
Mob: 0414 450 962

[cid:priority-computer-solutions_logo_03]       [cid:priority-computer-solutions_logo_04]