[AusNOG] DNS design (was Re: Botnet??)

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Sun Jul 29 13:23:26 EST 2012

On 29/07/12 12:11, Dobbins, Roland wrote:
> Recursive & authoritative functionality should be separated, as well:
>
> <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25235895/dnstiers.jpg>

Interesting diagram.  I have a couple of questions:

  * What is the significance of primary and secondary in that diagram?
    I thought BIND 8+ had done away with all that, and there were just
    masters and slaves.  Is it a role only locally significant on that
    site, like the anycast loopbacks?
  * What is the purpose of the external resolvers?  Wouldn't their
    purpose be just as easily fulfilled by the zone slaves?
  * What do the hidden masters and zone slaves use for external
    resolution?  The internal resolvers?  One of the caching-only groups?
  * What's the purpose of the aggregate caching-only forwarders?  Is it
    merely a scale issue that dictates their use instead of a direct
    relationship between the caching-only forwarders and the internal
    resolvers?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but this is quite relevant to a
project i'm working on, and i'm keen to understand other people's designs.

Thanks in advance,
Paul