[AusNOG] Nexus 5596 FCOE issues on B22hp to HP G8

simon thomason sapage at sapage.net
Fri Jul 27 06:50:42 EST 2012

Hi All,

Post this one on the cisco mailing list but not replied as yet so thought I
might see if anyone has experience with this on here?

Setup:  HUS -> Nexus5k -> B22hp ->HPG8

Problem is as follows;

Can only get maximum 2 fabric logins per fabric from FCOE devices using
Emulex 554 CNAs (have 4 servers/8 CNAs)

Results from starting each server in order, 30 secs apart:

Boot server 1 only – both CNAs login (see inside the CAN bios)

Boot server 2 next – only 1 CNA will login (again can see on BIOS)

Boot server 3 – sometimes 1 will login, though mostly none will

Boot server 4 – no CNAs log in.

Shutdown and boot each server in any order, the configurations above stay
the same.

If I reset the B22 fabric extended, and do a hard reset of each blade
server and do the following in order, leaving 30 seconds apart:

Boot server 4 only – both CNAs login (see inside the CAN bios)

Boot server 2 next – only 1 CNA will login (again can see on BIOS)

Boot server 1 – sometimes 1 will login, though mostly none will

Boot server 3 – no CNAs log in.

Repeat the above procedure in a different order and the first server to
start always gets 2 CNAs to login, the next gets 1 CAN to login and so
forth.

Emulex 554 bios is at v 4.1.402.20

Currently have a tac case open to look at this but rings to me as a
licensing issue on the 5596 for FCOE but license for this. We do have a 48
seat FC license per device but can not see how many seats are taken and
cisco can not tell me how to see this...

Cheers,

Simon T.