[AusNOG] (Semi/Somewhat/Paritially)-automated network configuration management

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Thu Jul 26 19:52:25 EST 2012

Hi everyone,

Just wondering about everyone's thoughts on this issue, and looking for
product recommendations.  I have a couple of problems that i would like
to solve with a network configuration management tool:

  * Find every occurrence of VLAN X on my entire network, across
    multiple switch vendors and models, report about it in a
    boss-friendly format, and then produce (or help me produce) a script
    to change VLAN X to VLAN Y.
  * Gather my switch & router configs, along with CDP/LLDP data, and
    note any discrepancies in VLAN tagging between devices that connect
    back-to-back.

These are just examples, although they are real problems that i would
like to solve in my current environment - i'm sure there are plenty more
analytics that would be helpful as well.  It's 2012, and i can't
understand why i can't find a canned (non-scripted) solution for this
out there on the web.  Is it just my Google-fu failing, or are the tools
still rudimentary?

For the record, i've got plenty of experience with RANCID, i've tested
Kiwi CatTools (seems to be just a prettied-up version of RANCID), and
i've tried to find other relevant products from SolarWinds, Infoblox,
and ManageEngine, but nothing is really jumping off the page.  Any
suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul