[AusNOG] IPv6 is hard.

Coleman, Patrick Patrick.Coleman at dec.wa.gov.au
Fri Jul 20 23:23:25 EST 2012

I'm not sure I understand the 'it consumes too much time' argument either.

After we got dual-stack on a couple of our transit providers early last year, I've been putting in at *most* an hour a month bringing dual-stack through the network. Because it was there at the edge, we could strategically turn it on when replacing routers and firewalls for other reasons, and it's now at the point (as of 3-4 months ago) where we have it on our server and internal IT desktop VLANs. Our public website has been dual-stack for about six months.

The availability means the applications and other infrastructure teams can start enabling it when commissioning new systems, and it should start to spread much faster. We've identified a few application bugs (and patched one) and a couple of gotchas. None of these have caused major problems; we had to roll back one production change and there was some trouble with some of the desktops, which is why you confine the initial rollout to a non-user VLAN.

There's been a need for a fair amount of internal advocacy, and (learning from experience here :) early engagement with other technical staff is critical.

That said - unless you're Google, getting production v6 dual-stack through to a DMZ test VLAN is 20 minutes during a maintenance window for something else, and perhaps a Saturday of testing and prep. And Google's deployed it.

Telstra (I believe), Amcom, Nextgen can all provide BGPv6 transit. There's no requirement to do the entire network at once. I certainly don't plan on ditching v4 any time soon.

Cheers,

Patrick