[AusNOG] AAPT Ethernet outage

Brent Paddon brent.paddon at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 13:09:02 EST 2012

> minimum 30 second intervals. Dont Lie. We will know. Just tell us the
> truth you will find it will be welcomed by your

I presume you mean 30 minutes - 30 seconds might be a tad too short... :-)

> Here's a hint. Dont blame the vendor. I cant blame you to my customers
> they dont care all they care about is they were down and how it wont happen
> again. Take charge of it.  Here's a free technical hint for your last
> outage. You need a hard power

You want an incident report but you don't want them to tell you what
happened (ie the vendors equipment had a bug).  Sorry, you can't have it
both ways.

If your customers are super sensitive to outages, they should have
redundancy - either of their own or have you install a second tail from as
diverse a path as you can muster into their sites.  Offering this to
customers and then having them refuse the added cost of the redundancy MAY
be a good way of diffusing potential situations in the future.  All
systems/networks have their moments, no matter who runs them.

> watchdog on the switch. A device that will hard reboot the power on your
> switch when it cant be seen for 5 minutes it needs to be in the pop and
> self contained.  Im sure you could afford them after all the money you
> saved on those non mainstream switches.

I'm not sure a watchdog system is what I would deploy, but I will say that
I think its poor form for AAPT to not have some kind of remote access via
another mechanism (eg 3G or ADSL from another carrier) into those POPs and
for a completely OOB emergency access mechanism which removed the need for
anyone to visit the site.  The cost of something like this should be
ridiculously low in almost every case and probably would have bought this
particular instance down in its length (and therefore impact on clients)
considerably.

Brent