[AusNOG] MTU Size on Ethernet carrier interconnects

Sam Silvester sam.silvester at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 17:32:12 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 4:50 PM, McDonald Richards <macca at vocus.com.au> wrote:

> The path of least resistance was just to set "ip mtu 1500" as standard on
> all customer-facing IP transit services, IP transit points and peering
> points.

I'm with Macca on this - for "IP transit" interfaces (I interpret that
as 'Internet services'), we set ip mtu 1500.

Internally, our network runs a higher MTU so that transparent LAN
services and the like don't run into problems when we need to
accommodate customers who want us to preserve their 802.1Q tags.

Also agree with Lincoln's comments - there's still a surprising
(disappointing?) amount of gear that will do up to about 1600 - 2000,
but not over 9000 :(

Sam